This recipe for chilli chicken will take the most boring chicken breasts and transform them into a colourful and vibrant dish, that will definitely entice.
Sometimes, you save the breast pieces of chicken, knowing that no one really wants the dry parts in the curry. So you think to yourself, I’ll keep these in the freezer for another use. This recipe is one way to elevate the humble chicken breast and make it into something truly exciting.
This recipe originates from India, where they have created an amazing fusion with Chinese roots. The dish contains chicken that has been marinated, floured and fried, then tossed in a spicy sauce with crunchy onions and peppers.
Fiery Chilli Chicken
A spicy, fresh and vibrant Indian fusion dish that is truly mouthwatering!
For the chicken:
3 chicken breasts, cubed
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp Sriracha
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp black pepper
Salt, to taste
2 tbsp cornflour
Extra cornflour for dredging
Oil for frying
For the sauce:
1 red or white onion, chopped into large chunks
1 bell pepper, chopped into large chunks
Salt, to taste
1 tbsp chilli flakes, optional
2 tbsp Sriracha
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp cornflour
1/2 cup water
Sliced red chilli
Sliced spring onions
Dry red chilli, optional
- In a bowl, mix the chicken cubes, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, chilli powder, cornflour, Sriracha and soy sauce. Let it marinate for at least 20 mins.
- Once chicken has marinaded, dredge in some extra cornflour to give the chicken a crunchy coating.
- Heat some oil in a pan ( I use sunflower oil) and either shallow or deep fry the chicken until golden brown and cooked through. Drain on kitchen towel.
- In a pan, fry the onions and peppers with salt until slightly softened but with a bite. You can add the chilli flakes at this point.
- Mix the sauce base; Sriracha, dark soy sauce, sugar, water and cornflour and add to the vegetables. Simmer until thickened.
- Add in the chicken, coating with the sauce and heat through.
- Garnish with sliced chilli, spring onions and dry red chillies for maximum flavour!
- You can garnish with toasted sesame seeds instead of red chilli.
- Goes great with my fried-rice recipe!
2 thoughts on “Fiery Chilli Chicken”